Process vs. People

By Constance Ferber

After having finished with the GSE internship with Dream A Dream, a concept that has really stuck with me is the idea of process-driven organizations verses people-driven organizations. This was introduced to us during our CSIM orientation weekend when we went around and visited several different NGOs in Bangalore. Some were described as process-driven NGOs, meaning an organization that puts a lot of effort in the way things are done, making sure that procedures are carefully noted and followed; where as people-driven NGOs essentially explains their success through the particular team of leaders that run it. Before being introduced to this idea, I had never thought about the importance of such contrasting ways of running an NGO, which has got me thinking which one is better?

I personally find myself more attracted to people-driven organizations because I believe this is what truly distinguishes non-profit work verses running a business (other than the obvious social benefits): that being the charismatic and passionate personality of the founder. Such characters that we met during our stay in India, their stories, and their drive for change kept me so enthusiastic and wanting to do more. This passion and drive found in people-driven organizations attracts outsiders to the cause and keeps them interested therefore becoming a powerful tool for keeping an NGO successful.

"Our entrepreneurial faces". Mr Pani with the GSE Team

However, on the other hand if the organization relies too much on the personality of the founder or leading team it becomes difficult to maintain without the founder’s influence or if the organization is looking to expand. Therefore on an entrepreneurial level process-driven organizations may seem more appealing due to its systematic nature. Besides having a little bit of both it is hard to say which type of organization would be more constructive and sustainable.

This entry was posted in By Constance Ferber and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Process vs. People

1. jenneh says:

The idea of social enterpreneursip has been introduced to us at school, and it is one i find intensely engaging. I just cant cease to imagine the endless possibilities that such a venture will hold.
    indeed, it is one that requires a great deal more attention