Regarding relationships and employee morale

Maddy Swoy

Throughout my time in Bangalore thus far, I have become privy to the structure of various NGOs; through personal experiences at PremaVidya (PV) as well as by hearing my peers’ reflect on at their experiences at their respective NGOs (HippoCampus and Sattva), and from the presenters I have met through CSIM training.

The work culture at PremaVidya (PV) is really wonderful. They stress the importance of relationships. They see the value that partnerships and relationships create in; improved employee morale, improved teamwork, increased productivity, and higher employee retention. Each of these components contributes to the staff being generally laid back and at ease. We all support one another and agree to work toward a common goal.

This past weekend, our organization made it a particular point to gain closeness and bond by putting on a Sport’s Day (as they do every June when the school year allows for a moment of freeing breadth). Members of the varying departments which comprise the organization join together, as well as many of their significant others and important sponsors/supporters of the company. It was important to have so many people with differing roles engaging in a day of cricket, throwball, coco, and musical chairs (unlike any other musical chairs I have ever played! This version involved running and sliding in order to stay in the game). It was a truly altering experience to be playing with and cheering for the Teacher’s Assistants, “techies”, my fellow quality team, the leadership, and all others that joined in the festivities. I learned a lot about my colleagues and got to know them on an equal playing field. New roles of leadership were taken and guidance was given by unexpected leaders. I made many new friends and built upon previous relationships.

During the workday at PremaVidya, the culture does not take on a terribly different form than it did at Sport’s Day. Each lunch hour we all sit together, generally on the rooftop, around many different Indian dishes, the majority of which are home-cooked.

Lunch on the PremaVidya Terrace

We pass around the food, all eat a common meal and engage in a common conversation (either about our daily activities, comparing cultures, the workspace, or even global politics). It is always so wonderful! They have even taught me how to eat rice in a traditional manner, with my hands. I’m proud to say, that I have progressed from meekly turning to a spoon, to now being able to eat curd rice like a true Indian no matter where I am.

There is not only positive supportive communication amongst my colleagues but motivational communication as well. We all inspire each other to work harder and reach farther. This is important in a social enterprise because the nonprofit sector tends to take on tasks that are not for the weakhearted and require a deep investment in both the project and the company. On occasion there is a lack of clarity between the different departments, and language can prove to be an obstacle at times. But no matter, there is always a consensus regarding a universal, holistic goal which drives a passion within everyone to strive for social change. On the wall, as I look up from my desk, the vision of the company is posted in bright blue and yellow, “A caring and equitable society free of deprivation and strife”, as well as the mission, “To facilitate and develop processes that improve the quality of life of people”. These words serve as an ever constant reminder of our purpose as a company and our roles within it.

Since our time here, the founder of PremaVidya, and the man who we planned on primarily working under was diagnosed with leukemia. The work environment remains optimistic, and my peers are reporting good news at every possible opportunity that arises. There is an undeniable closeness in the workplace that has only been deepened and strengthened though the plight that Mr. Naresh’s illness has borne. It has ignited a more intense drive in each of my colleagues and has created yet another important reason to push towards success. Team building and bonding activities such as Sport’s Day have taken new meaning without the presence of Naresh, and the speech given at the end by his partner was passionate. It emphasized hope for the future of both Mr. Naresh and the entire scaling project that PremaVidya has underway. This ethos of care is important for employee retention because a feeling of family has been created and quality friendships have been made; which encourages productive and healthy dialogue at work.

I cannot speak as much to the working environments of the other two NGO’s that GSE is currently working with in India, but after conversing with my peers, an overarching theme of compassion and drive for social change is apparent. I can only speculate whether this culture is standard for all NGOs, for all Indian companies, or for all NGOs in India, but from my narrowed vision it appears that many Indian NGOs tend to share a similar working culture. In fact, from my three weeks in India, it seems as though Indian culture as a whole really holds the bond of a community to a high regard. There is a morale amongst the organization that is created by the type of people who are employed by PV and the human resources. The animation is not forced, but rather fostered by the leadership team because they recognize the value in optimism and positivity.

In such a short time, I have been able to adapt into my working environment and build profound relationships that I am confident will surpass the constraints of my time in Bangalore. I feel most acclimated into Indian culture at work where we can all function together as a common entity. I look forward to bringing back the lessons that I have taken from my time here to future workplaces, whether they are in the United States, or other countries abroad.

This entry was posted in Global SE 2012, Program, Students, Voices and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.